Super healthy traditional Lebanese stew recipe, full of vitamins and veggies.
If you don’t have time to make the broth and then adding it to your veggies then you can place all ingredients into the pressure cooker and cook them for around 30-45 min. It’s a very forgiving recipe that will taste amazing no matter what.
Squeeze some lemon juice and serve with warm vermicelli rice.
Bazella Stew (Pea Stew)
- 200 g Beef Shanks (Mawzet) Could use Lamb as well
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 Cloves
- 2 Anise Stars
- 1.5 Liter Water
- 2 tsp Seven Spices
- 2 tsp Cinnamon Powder
- 2 tsp All Spice
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 2 Bags Frozen Peas and Carrots (800g) Carrots chopped finely
- 1 Large Potato Chopped into small cubes
- 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce
- Olive Oil
- Place cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, anise stars and cloves in pressure cooker with water.Add the beef shanks, let them boil and close the pressure cooker for around 30-40 mins.
- Once the meat is done, remove the meat and set aside. Remove all the aromatics and discard. Reserve the broth.
- In a large pot, heat 3 tbsp olive oil on low fire. Add the onions and fry them around for 3 mins.Add the carrots and potatoes making sure you stir them to avoid them sticking.Stir them for around 2 min and then add the peas.
- Add all your spices and salt and mix them with the veggies.
- Add beef shanks and the tomato paste. Stir the paste well into the veggies so that they are evenly coated.
- Top off with the broth (optional to add tomato sauce here)
- Cook with lid closed for around 30 min. If water level is too much you can simmer it for another 10 mins.
- Serve with vermicelli rice.