Growing up, my mom wasn’t one of those moms that stayed in the kitchen and cooked, per say. Not that i minded, on the contrary i wouldn’t want my mom any other way. Point is, she knew how to make one dish really well, and that dish is beef stroganoff. Say these two words in front of my dad today and he will definitely faint from all those times he had to eat this dish.
I’ve been craving stroganoff for a while now, so when Elle Et Vire sent me all their goodies ( including a TON of cream), i decided it was the perfect timing.
Check out the recipe below and be prepared to eat the BEST STROGANOFF ever… Well, at least for me it is 🙂
Ingredients for Beef Stroganoff
- 600g beef fillet
- 25g butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 250g button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 400ml beef stock
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 heaped tbsp soured cream or crème fraiche (or more)
- 1/2 cup White Wine (optional)
- finely chopped parsley, to serve
- flaked sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- First prepare the beef fillet. Cut it into slices ½–1 cm thick and 1cm wide. Season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan. Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes, then add the mushrooms and continue to cook until both are soft. Stir the mustard into the pan, making sure you coat the onion and mushrooms evenly.
- Pour the stock into the pan, then leave it to simmer until the liquid has reduced by about half. Stir in the crème fraiche and set the pan aside for a few minutes.
- If the sauce remains very liquidy, remove some aside in a small bowl and mix it with corn starch until it thickens, then add it back to the pan.
- In another large frying pan, heat the vegetable oil. Add the beef strips and fry, stirring continuously, until the meat is browned on all sides.
- Reheat the onion and mushroom sauce, then add the beef. Check the seasoning and add more salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
How To Serve
Most people serve their stroganoff with pasta, however i prefer it with plain rice and shredded fried potatoes on top of the rice.
Pinch of Love,