Since i’ve picked up a new baking hobby, i decided to make my best friend a cake for her birthday.
Yara, being a rebel without a cause, does not like chocolate cakes. So i decided to make a traditional vanilla double layered cake with a sugar frosting base and meringue frosting flowers on top.
To be honest, i did not initially want the entire thing to be purple, but i messed up with my food coloring and thats that. Next time, i should learn my colors beforehand.
Made a simple cake mix:
Cake Mix Ingredients
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9×9 inch pan or line a muffin pan with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine flour and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Finally stir in the milk until batter is smooth. Pour or spoon batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven. For cupcakes, bake 20 to 25 minutes. Cake is done when it springs back to the touch.
You can also find the recipe here: http://bit.ly/1MfxVzx
The cakes are super moist and fluffy. I made 2 batches and put them in 2 9-inch pans.
As for the frosting, the base buttercream is super easy.
Butter Cream Ingredients
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 drops food coloring, or as needed (optional)
- Cream room temperature butter with a hand mixer, the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, or a wooden spoon until smooth and fluffy. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until fully incorporated. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Pour in milk and beat for an additional 3-4 minutes. Add food coloring, if using, and beat for thirty seconds until smooth or until desired color is reached.
You can also find the recipe here: http://bit.ly/23W50Wu
The meringue frosting is DELICIOUS i just wanted to eat it right off the paddle.
Here is the recipe for the meringue frosting:
Meringue Frosting Ingredients
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, water and cream of tartar. Cook over medium-high heat until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is bubbly.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whip the egg whites and vanilla to soft peaks. Gradually add the sugar mixture while whipping constantly until stiff peaks form, about 7 to 10 minutes. Frost the cake of your choice.
You can also find the recipe here: http://bit.ly/1WcDyBb
After covering the cake with the buttercream frosting, i put the meringue frosting into an icing bag and practiced doing flowers on a plate before i did them on the cake. It’s really super easy to make, but got a bit messy for me!
All in all, this cake was a success and did not take a lot of time to complete!
Let me know if you have any questions or comments.. You can check my Instagram page at www.instagram.com/mrsclueless for all the videos!
Pinch of Love,