Back from our summer vacation, and back to fully focusing on Mrs.Clueless!
I had gotten a recipe book (Comfort Food) before we left for our vacation and I didn’t have the chance to try anything from it! So yesterday night while we were watching Narcos Season 2, which by the way is SO GOOD, i decided to open up the book and make something for dinner.
This roast caught my attention because, well, i have a chicken in my freezer, and it seemed moderately hard.
Started off by reading the recipe after i had defrosted my chicken and it said i had to marinate it for SIXTEEN hours. Ain’t no one got time for that.
So i, as usual, tried to come up with a faster marination process. Added a whole cup of plain yogurt and massaged it into the chicken.
Decided to make a medley of brown and black organic rice which i totally placed in my Nordic Ware Bundt Cake Pan!
I cannot tell you how delicious and easy the chicken and it’s sauce is!!
Find the recipe below with a few changes by yours truly.
- Whole Roasting Chicken (Around 3.26kg)
- Kosher Salt and Freshly ground pepper (i use Pink Himalayan Salt)
- 4 tbsp Unsalted butter at room temperature. (I only used 1 tbsp)
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme and a few sprigs (2-4)
- 8 thin lemon slices
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil (I used half a cup)
- 1 cup yogurt (OPTIONAL)
- 2 cups Chicken Stock or Broth
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- Sprinkle the chicken inside out with 2 tbsp salt.
- Put into a plastic bag and refrigerate for at least 16 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 2 hours before roasting.
- Preheat Oven to 220 C.
- Rinse the chicken inside and out under cold water. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- In a bowl mix together the butter and minced thyme.
- Starting at the cavity, slip your fingers underneath the chicken skin and loosen it all over, being careful not to tear it and reaching as far as possible into the thigh area.
- Using your fingers, massage the butter under the skin to distribute it as evenly as possible.
- Slip the lemon sliced under the breast skin, 4 slices on each side.
- Rub the chicken all over with yogurt (optional) and olive oil, and season with 0.5 tsp pepper.
- Tie the chicken legs.
- Place a large, ovenproof pan in the oven for 5 minutes until it is very hot. Meanwhile, twist a 30cm length of aluminum foil into a rope, and fashion it into a ring.
- Remove the pan and carefully place the ring in the center of the pan.
- Place the chicken breast side up on top of the ring.
- Return the pan into the oven, basting occasionally with the fat in the pan, for about 1 hour. (Depending on your oven)
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and let it rest for 15 minutes before carving it.
- Discard the foil ring, pour the pan drippings into a heatproof measuring cup.
- Let stand, then spoon off the and reserve the fat.
- Add the stock to the drippings left in the cup.
- Add 2 tbsp of the fat to a frying pan and whisk in the flour.
- Gradually whisk in the stock mixture and the cream and bring to a boil.
- Simmer while whisking frequently until it thickens.
- Season with salt and pepper, add the thyme sprigs, and serve immediately.
Don’t be discouraged by all the steps in this recipe! I purposefully dissected them into smaller steps so it is clearer and easier.
You can skip steps 2,3, and 5 if you don’t have time to marinate it.
Also, you can add a tbsp of Dijon mustard to the sauce if you would like to!
Pinch of Love,