This syrup also known as Ater is used on basically every middle eastern dessert recipe. As if the sugar content in most sweets isn’t enough, we need to add more. But it just makes it THAT much better.
This makes a small batch, but you can double or even triple it to yield a larger batch.
Keep it refrigerated in an airtight container or jar and use it at any time!
Basic Sugar Syrup
- 300 g Sugar
- 180 ml Water
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 4 Cloves
- 1/4 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Orange Blossom Water
- 2 tbsp Rose Water
- In a pot, boil water, sugar, cinnamon stick, and cloves on medium heat until it starts to bubble and sugar has dissolved
- Once it has dissolved and bubbled, it might produce a froth which you should remove with a strainer or a spoon
- Add in the lemon juice and remove off heat
- Add in the rose water and orange blossom water, let it cool
- Once cooled down, remove the cinnamon stick and cloves and pour into desired bottle. It will last you a reaaaallly long time in the fridge